A breaker test is a fast way to narrow down where high energy usage is occurring in your home if you are unsure. To complete a breaker test, follow the steps below.
- Turn on the appliances you suspect are or could be the culprit.
- Go to your electric meter and determine how many kilowatts your home is currently using.
NOTE:If you need instructions on how to read your meter, you can find information online at Discover Options for Checking a SmartMeter.
- Turn off the breaker that runs the suspected high usage appliance.
- Return to your electric meter and determine how many kilowatts your home is using without the breaker on.
- If you notice a substantial decrease if usage, you have found the high usage area. If you do not notice a substantial decrease, turn the breaker back on and repeat the process until you find the culprit.