We are investing in new technologies and modernizing the electric and gas systems so that our transition to clean energy can be safe, reliable, and affordable.
The money you pay:
- Buys or generates some of the cleanest electricity in the country—96% comes from greenhouse gas-free sources.
- Strengthens power poles and powerlines to reduce the impacts of extreme weather and natural disasters.
- Develops new energy efficiency programs to help you save energy.
- Invests in new innovations, like battery storage and microgrids, so that you have access to clean energy when you need it most.
Your safety is our most important responsibility.
The threat of extreme weather and wildfires is real. Our Community Wildfire Safety Program helps protect our communities from the risk of wildfires 365 days a year.
We are making the system safer and stronger so when extreme weather happens, we will continue to be ready for it:
- Keeping trees and branches away from powerlines
- Undergrounding 10,000 miles of powerlines in highest fire-risk areas
- Ensuring safety with enhanced protection and temporary outages
- Installing stronger powerlines and poles
- Using the latest technologies and equipment
California is leading the way to a cleaner energy future. Over 96% of our power is already greenhouse-gas-free.
- Solar rooftops
- More connected in our service area than any energy company in America
- Investing in the grid that makes widespread adoption of electric vehicles possible
- Battery energy storage
- Deploying more so that our customers can access clean and reliable renewable energy—even when the sun isn't shining or the wind isn't blowing, and at night
- Implementing plans to greatly reduce emissions created by our company and our customers by 2030. This is equal to taking more than 3.2 million passenger vehicles off the road for one year.
California is the fifth largest economy in the world and a state of innovators and changemakers.
- Working with the world’s leading car manufacturers on a new program that will enable electric vehicles to become portable power plants for homes and businesses when the power is out.
- Partnering with clean energy leaders. We built and are operating one of the world's largest battery storage facilities, so that you have access to energy when you need it.
- Building microgrids to keep power on where it is safe to do so during power outages, and remote grids so that even our most vulnerable communities will have power during extreme weather.
To support the growing and changing energy needs of our customers, while helping our state reach its climate and clean energy goals, we are:
- Upgrading the energy grid
- Re-inspecting thousands of miles of powerlines
- Moving 10,000 miles of electric lines underground in highest fire risk areas
- Trimming vegetation even farther back from powerlines
- Working with first responders and communities to protect the most vulnerable.
To serve our 4.6 million natural gas customers safely and reliably, we:
- Operate a state-of-the-art 50,000-mile pipeline system
- Modernized our natural gas system extensively
- Replaced more than 2,000 miles of gas transmission and distribution pipeline
- Retired cast iron within our system.
- Utilize advanced technologies to monitor our system around the clock from our 24-hour Gas Control Center.
In 2020—the 40-year anniversary of our Supplier Diversity Program—we invested $3.88 billion with diverse suppliers.
Our overall supplier diversity goal is 40 percent, including 25 percent with minority-owned businesses through 2023.
As one of the largest employers in California—more than 24,000 employees—we have a responsibility to help everyone thrive and prosper.
- Our partnerships with small and diverse businesses increase economic opportunities in our hometowns. Women, minority, service-disabled veterans, and LGBT-owned businesses play an important role in helping us deliver energy service to our customers.
- Our economic development experts help businesses choose the right location; evaluate real estate costs, availability, fees and taxes; find money-saving business solutions; answer questions about labor costs and supplies; and more.