It is cheaper to turn off you’re A/C when you leave the house. PG&E recommends the following thermostat settings to help reduce energy as it relates to the air conditioning:
- Keep AC thermostats set at 78 degrees or higher when home (health permitting).
- Keep your pet’s ideal temperature in mind when setting your thermostat. Consult your veterinarian if you have questions or concerns.
- Always run HVAC system fan on “AUTO”. Running it on “ON” uses more electricity and can decrease air conditioner’s ability to remove moisture.
- Set thermostat to 85 degrees when away from home for two hours or more
- OR turn off
- Realize it will take 1-2 hours to cool the house down when you return.
- When returning home, avoid setting thermostat at a colder setting then normal. It will not cool home any faster and could result in excessive cooling and unnecessary expense.
- Using your drapes or blinds for shading while you are gone can reduce the time it takes for your air conditioner to cool the home when you return.