PG&E is upgrading the equipment on our utility poles, that prevents damage and service disruption in the event of a lighting strike. The important work helps keep our customers and communities safe and is required by the California Public Utilities Commission.
PG&E is upgrading over 90,000 locations to meet the new standard, which requires 2 ground rods (a ground rod for the transformer, and a ground rod for the surge arrester). A ground rod's purpose is to transfer a surge of electricity to the ground, so the surge does not damage the equipment. Surge protection can be the first and best defense against the instant or gradual destruction of electrical equipment, similar to a surge protector used to prevent damage to a computer or other electronic device. A temporary electric service interruption may be necessary for up to 45 minutes during a 4-hour window while we perform this important safety work. If you are affected, you will be notified.
What you can expect
• You may see PG&E’s qualified contractor, visiting various locations
throughout your community to install upgraded equipment.
• We may need to access your property; however, you do not need to be home during the work.
• All PG&E employees and contractors are required to carry valid photo identification and are
happy to provide it upon request.
• You may see crews working on the poles, digging, or installing equipment below ground.
• Traffic may be routed around work areas, and minor delays may occur.
• To ensure safety, a temporary electric service interruption may be necessary. If so, we will send a
separate letter in advance to provide you with the details and schedule.
• Our crews will be following all appropriate COVID-19 mitigation measures including wearing face
coverings and maintaining physical distance wherever possible.
Your local contact
If you have any questions about this work, please feel free to call the Wildfire Safety Team at 1-877-295-
4949 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your patience and cooperation while we
work to enhance the safety and reliability of our electric system.