We are so happy you asked! PG&E encourages you to have a plan, prepare for power outages, and above all else, stay safe! If your area is expecting a large storm, it is a great idea to prepare for an outage ahead of time.
You can enroll in updates on outages in your neighborhood. Sign up on our Electric Outage Map to receive proactive outage alerts through email, text or phone. You can also enroll via our outage information line at 1-800-743-5002.
To stay prepared, visit our Safety Action Center for emergency planning.
Here are some steps you can take to prepare yourself and your family for a large weather event.
- Make sure you have a plan for any medical equipment you may need power for and medication that requires refrigeration
- If you have a generator, make sure you are prepared to use it
- Do you have fuel?
- Do you have extension cords?
- Find your flashlights and check the batteries
- Put replacement batteries in an easy to reach location
- Use flashlights instead of candles for safety
- Make sure you have drinking water, particularly if you use a well
- Charge your electronics and back up batteries for your electronics
- Purchase ice or freeze containers of water to fill your freezer and refrigerator
- Keep important phone numbers, such as numbers of hospitals, fire departments, police, friends and relatives in a convenient location in case you need emergency help or other assistance
- Ensure you vehicle is accessible should the power go out
For additional safety precautions, visit our Emergency Preparedness web page.