PG&E encourages you to have a plan, prepare for power outages and above all else, stay safe!
You can enroll to get updates on outages in your neighborhood. Sign up on our Electric Outage Map to receive proactive outage alerts through email, text or phone. Or, you can enroll via our outage information line at 1-800-743-5002.
To stay prepared, visit our Safety Action Center for emergency planning.
Forgotten tips to not overlook:
- Have flashlights, radios and fresh batteries ready and know where to go for updates on storm conditions and power outages in case cell towers are down
- If you have a telephone system that requires electricity to work, such as a cordless phone or answering machine, plan to have a standard telephone or cellular phone ready as a backup
- Freeze plastic containers filled with water to make blocks of ice that can be placed in your refrigerator/freezer during an outage to prevent foods from spoiling
- Blue Ice from your picnic cooler also works well in the freezer
- Secure outdoor furniture, lightweight yard structures and decorative lawn items that can be blown by high winds to prevent them from damaging overhead power lines and property
- If you have a stand-by generator, make sure that it’s installed safely and inform PG&E to avoid risking damage to your property and endangering PG&E workers. Information on the safe installation of generators can be found on our website at Backup Power